Some 300 to 325 staff at NetEnt’s operations in Malta were informed this morning that they were to pack up their belongings as their job with the company was being terminated.
It is understood that almost all those who were employed at NetEnt’s Malta operations have been let go, with some staff reporting that remuneration will continue to be paid until January 2021, while others have heard that a sum of money will be paid out to those who have been with the company for a specific number of years.
Staff members who described feeling "shocked" by this morning’s events told WhosWho.mt that upon starting the workday this morning, security guards appeared at the offices and at the dealers’ area, while staff were told to clear out of the premises.
Attempts to get in touch with NetEnt throughout the day for comment proved unsuccessful.
Staff also reported that they had until 6pm to remove all their personal belongings.
In reaction to the news of NetEnt staff in Malta being let go, the Government issued a statement informing those effected of steps being taken to assist.
Gaming giant Evolution Gaming, now rebranded as Evolution, placed a bid to acquire NetEnt, a supplier of digitally distributed gaming systems for SEK 19.6billion, approximately €1.8billion, in June.
Both companies hold MGA B2B Critical Gaming Supply licences and have offices in Malta.
Evolution Gaming received approval from the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) for the acquisition of slot giant NetEnt some two weeks ago.
This was the final competition approval needed for the deal. The Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority has already approved the acquisition in September.
Evolution had announced on Monday of last week that NetEnt shareholders, who possess in excess of 90 per cent of the total shares in the company, accepted the recommended public acquisition offer from Evolution.